¡Buenos dias!
Haha! You guys are the best family in the world! Thanks for your
prayers and advice. It really does help so much.
I got a letter from Elder Jordan Franks this week! But I think it was
written a month and a half ago haha.
And I noticed last night that my top permanent retainer broke in half.
I dont know when, but it doesnt hurt or anything. Its just
ineffective. So looks like I have to start wearing my night retainer
EVERY night. ugh. ha
Dad that picture of the foliage and stuff is the cafeteria where we
eat (I think). It is right in front of our house. This computer
doesnt have an apostrophe button haha, and its frustrating to my
perfectionist tendencies. ANd as far as the Garcia family, we have an
appointment with them on Wednesday. The father works in the capital,
so its gonna be hard to teach them, but I know we were led to them for
a reason.
I hear from John quite a bit and it sounds like hes doing great! Troy
I heard from once, and he is so focused. Its so cool.
About changes!
I am still here in Nueva Concepcion with Elder Herrera (which Im
actually excited about!), but our area was cut in half. Thank
goodness! Elder Herrera is still District Leader and we have two new
elders here. Elder Thorley from Vegas and Elder Rigby from Layton,
UT. Elder Thorley is a GREENIE! Haha its so cool to be here with a
couple of Americans. I feel like I can learn so much from Elder Rigby
and I can help out Elder Thorley. Its helped me see how much progress
ive made since my time in the MTC. I went on a split with Elder Rigby
to show him the area and introduce him to some of the members and
investigators. He has ten months and he is obedient and determined.
His Spanish, although way better than mine, sounds kind of funny after
spending so much time with a fluent companion. Its been awesome to
have them here.
It is winter here right now, and its really interesting. Its hot
every day, but it cools off a bit at night (To the point where the
natives wear sweatshirts, and I still sweat in a short sleeve shirt)
haha! And it will be like this until February. In March and April it
gets hotter and hotter, and doesnt cool off at night, until May brings
tons of rain. Thats when things finally cool off.
I get so sick of the heat and dust, it makes for a nasty feeling of
dirt and grime at the end of the day. I shower before bed and when I
wake up. And I hate showering because the water is freezing! Haha
but I feel so much better afterwards.
This week we were on an especially dusty road and there were cars and
motorcycles driving by, continuously swirling the dust. I could
hardly see or breathe for the two miles we were on the road. And I
was sweating. Haha I just laughed and thought (in an Austin Eckel
sort of way) "This is soo horrible!!" And laughed some more. It
really was horrible, but I just thought about how funny it was that I
was in Guatemala in the heat and how I was still happy.
The heat makes it tough to focus. Im still memorizing a scripture
every day, and sometimes it is soo hard. But Ive learned sooo much
and Ive gotten so much better at remembering things! Its way cool.
And I pray for the help of the Spirit in remembering the things I
study (something I recommend for anybody that wants to do well in
school or work). I plan on continuing that pattern forever.
I miss snow and cold weather. I love hearing about those BYU football
games and the cold weather thats coming. Ah I miss that. Its good to
know that it will be there when I get back.
Dad, what you were saying about being willing to change, or
acknowledging that fact that we need to change and improve. I was
thinking about that this week. Whenever I study "Preach My Gospel"
and I read something that I dont do, I have a tendency to blow it off
and say, "thats not how its done, or thats awkward or ineffective."
Ive learned to recognize that feeling and as soon as I recognize it I
remind myself that Preach My Gospel was written by people who know
missionary work wayy better than I do. That it is the guide for
missionary work. And then I try to apply it. Ive tried to think of
that book as my trainer, and ive learned so much from it. When I
apply things in that book, it only improves. It may be awkward to
start a conversation a certain way, or to ask a certain question, or
to speak more boldly, but it works.
Haley, your poem is legit. And it sounds like PowderPuff was awesome!
Props on your tackle :)
And Mom, I got my debit card to work at the ATM, and yes I can buy
batteries here. So dont worry about sending those if theyre heavy!
Oh, and no need to worry about my number getting around. You cant use
cards to buy things here, only cash.
And also, I feel healthier. I work out more in the mornings and that
helps. And I figured out what to eat and stuff.
You guys have mentioned that Aubrey Evans is gonna write me, and Ive
been waiting for that for a long time haha! If you have her address,
could you send that to me?
And could you also give me Jonathon Clarks address? That would be
awesome. Thank you!
So ive mentioned how the mission is so up and down emotionally. I
woke up at three in the morning Sunday morning and couldnt sleep. The
thought "what in the world am I doing here, on a mission, in
Guatemala, etc?" and it was horrible! Haha but I was reminded of a
lesson the Brother Bott taught in my mission prep class at BYU. He
said those moments of depression will come, and you just need to
recognize them and not let it get to you. And he explained a process
of antidepression. Ha Sunday proved to be tough and I just kept
fighting those awful thoughts. And I kept doing my best to focus and
love everyone. Then last night we found an awesome family and taught
them a quick lesson on faith and repentance. I felt soo happy! It
was such a relief to find success after such a tough day. This
morning I was thinking about how one day I will be comfortable with
all of this and I will be able to help others with my experience and
knowledge. That got me excited.
Last Sunday I fasted for the gift of tongues. On Tuesday and
Wednesday I understood almost everything. It was so amazing. I know
there is power in fasting and prayer. I know that faith precedes
miracles and power. I know that the Spirit can guide us and enable us
to do amazing things. And I know that I need His help.
I gotta go, but I love you guys and hope youre doing great! Have an
awesome week!
Love,
Elder Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.