Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, January 24, 2011

Some candid thoughts...

Jan. 17, 2011

HOLA!
How is everyone?
Today, we didn't play soccer. Well, the zone did, but we sacrificed our P-day to help some people move into a new house. It was a tough sacrifice, but worth it! And we went to Pizza Hut this afternoon! It was soooo expensive, but soo good. And yes, Mom, we´re eating plenty. And yes, on Sunday afternoons we eat with members. It´s so awesome, such a blessing. They always work so hard to feed the missionaries a big meal and I always feel bad when I can´t eat five servings of whatever because it´s blazing hot outside.
The Ramos family- we went to visit them twice this week. The dad apologized for some things he said when we visited him a couple weeks ago. The second time we went this week he didn't want to come into the room. But we talked to the rest of the family and they needed some help with other things, so it was good.
Haha don´t worry about me and the girls in the ward! I´m not at all concerned about it. A couple of them have already tried their tricks and I just laughed. They are physically attractive, but I´m not at all distracted. You guys sound a bit worried about that.
The family we helped with building the house- we taught them about the Plan of Salvation this week. Their 16 year old was really interested. We tried to go back again this week, but things didn´t work out. They live pretty far, so it´s been tough getting out there. But we should be able to get out there on Wednesday.

Dad, about the ruins down here...
There are tons of sites that could very well be Nephite and Lamanite cities. The thing is, during the time of the Mayans and Aztecs and all that, when a nation conquered another, they would destroy absolutely everything having to do with the enemy. And then they would build on top. So they think there aren't many Nephite ruins left. But there are lots of experts that think otherwise, due to the evidence of things that are pretty heavily supported by the Book of Mormon. It is pretty widely believed that Lehi and his family landed somewhere in our mission. And that they settled near Guatemala City. President Steimle, from the CCM, had a lot to say about it all and it was really interesting. So yeah, any snipets you hear, please share them.
That story you shared about the elder that focused on loving the people was really cool. I´ve been trying to focus more on the members here in this area, but it´s been tough for me. My companion is so good with remembering names and faces, it makes me realize that I can do better to focus on that. He´s so smart, it´s pretty amazing.
Something awesome about him... this week he told me that he got his yellow belt in Kung Fu. Later on he told me, 'Okay, I´ll be honest, I´m a black belt in Kung Fu, but I don´t like people knowing that. But I trust you.' Haha so cool!
Haley, something that Elder Clarke (the general authority in charge of the Central America area) told us in the CCM: He explained that his daughter was an all-american track runner in college. He always told her growing up to run with her heart before her feet. He explained it to where it made a bit more sense. Basically, you have to believe that you can be better. But you have to realize that it will hurt. But to prepare, you have to build up the courage to run faster when that pain comes. When it´s tough, that´s when you have to work harder. He related it to life in general and it was a really good lesson. Pray for help and work hard at it.
Haley, as for time in the mission... Sometimes I feel like it goes very slow. But, like you said, when I look back, six months have gone quickly. Some days are really long, just like in school. But time is picking up and it´s really weird. I don´t like how time plays tricks on the mission.
This week I saw a volcano erupt. It was epic. There are three volcanos that are pretty close to Cuyo. On the other side of them is the Quetzaltenango mission. But the little one of the three is really active. And the eruption we saw was one of its more violent ones. It was sweet.
We also found a spider that was almost as big as my hand. We think we killed it.
This week I went on divisions to La Maquina (The Machine). It´s so hot down there. Elder Tau´Fui got really sick that night. It was strange how quick it came. But he was fine in the morning. Illnesses are weird down here haha and really gross. I currently have an armpit fungus. Don´t worry, I´m only telling you because I think it´s hilarious. Armpit fungus! I have a cream to put on it and it´s helping. I just feel bad for my companion, walking alongside a sweaty gringo that can´t wear deoderante. Haha ugh
As for the work...
Things are both really frustrating and really exciting right now. We are currently the second most successful area in the mission. If we convert all of the progressing investigators that we have into baptisms, we will be at the top. That´s kind of cool. But I give all the credit to the Lord and to my Hulk of a companion. We have so many peole that we´re teaching that are so close to baptism. But some have to get divorced, and then married before they get baptized. Others still need to come to church. We´re working and praying hard. Thank goodness the fair ended yesterday, that was a big problem. We´d show up to the outskirts of our area to teach a lesson and then find out that the person was down at the fair. On top of that, music would be blasting till FIVE IN THE MORNING. And the bombs and fireworks would start going off at three. Ugh it was an interesting week as far as sleep. But now it´s over and things are settling down.
Something interesting I read this week was in 2 Nephi 32. In verse three it says the words of Christ will tell you all things that you should do. Then in verse 5 it says the Holy Ghost will show you all things that you should do. What do you guys think about that?
Tomorrow I think President is coming down to give a conference. And then the Zone Leaders and maybe the Assistants are going to come on Thursday to help us set baptism dates with our investigators. So this week should be pretty awesome. I´m excited for everything, but I feel inadequate to the task. That´s good in a way, because it helps me rely more heavily on the Lord. But sometimes I feel like I´m just not doing enough. Do you guys ever feel that? Sometimes I feel really good about things and I´m working hard, but then there´s something nagging at me that I feel like I need to do differently. Sometimes I´m thankful for it, but other times I get down about it. Not depressed or anything, just a feeling of inadequacy.
Well, time´s up and I gotta go. Thank you guys for your emails.
BROCK AND AUBREY SHOULD WRITE ME THIS WEEK... ahem cough hint.
Love you guys so much! And thank you for everything. Have an awesome week!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler