Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 1:45 PM
Family!
You guys are the best! Thank you for all your support. This week has
been a bit better. I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm and excitement up
despite the lack of success. I found the problem. It is in our
companionship. We are not united in purpose and desire, which has
been an obstacle in everything. We work hard, we go through the
motions, we're nice to each other, and we are using the help of the
members. But that isn't enough. It's always emphasized that charity
must first be applied in the home before being applied outside of the
home. That applies perfectly to a companionship. Dad, your advice
was priceless. Thank you. I've been thinking about Doctrine and
Covenants 121 where it emphasizes the need for increased love after
reproving somebody. I haven't cultivated the gift of charity. I feel
motivated to find a family that's ready for the Gospel. I feel like
I'm more focused than I used to be, but my companion is still new and
learning. I need to help motivate him to change some things. I need
to be more charitable toward him before I can motivate him (and that
goes for all the missionaries in my district). My companion has a lot
of little struggles, but all of them combined turn into a big one. I
have to help him. I say that recognizing my own faults, but I'm the
one with more experience and understanding. That will be my focus
this week.
Thank you guys for your letters and your prayers.
Aubrey, sounds like work is stressful, but a huge blessing! And those
pictures of the fish are awesome! You guys are so cool! I went to
Midway once, but it was at 10 oclock at night to visit the hotsprings
haha! It was sketchy. Alex Leonard was there! Good times. I
haven't posted any pictures in awhile, I'll get on that next week!
And thank you for your support and for telling me your proud of me.
Sometimes that's a good thing to hear.
Haley! Sounds like the race was awesome! What was your finishing
time? Sounds like this coming year is going to be great! You've got
a good schedule. You're still gonna be crazy busy and stressed, I
recommend coming up with a plan for when that comes. Remember
facebook is a waste of time haha! Oh btw, did Amy Austin get my
letter while she was in Bolivia?
Dad, thats such a huge bummer getting the ticket and the whole food
poisoning thing! Thank you for all those quotes and
advice. And it's true, the Spirit is the most important thing. I
bought a watch, it was 150 quetzales (20 dollars I believe). But my
soccer ball popped today and I lost my bath towels (I only have one
left). So I think 50 or 60 would be so great to include a dinner or
something for my birthday. That's so much money! I'm sorry, I'll pay
you back when I get home and start working. But thank you so much!
Mom, they told me my package is waiting in the mission office, I
should get it next week. Thank you so much for that. And how long
ago did you send the other shoe? Thank you for everything you do.
Seminary is going to be so great! I think you'll learn to love it. I
love you!
Not a whole lot happened this week. One thing that I am so grateful
for is the attendance level at church. It's up to 135! The members
have been visiting each other and it's helped so much with the unity
in the ward. The only problem is the chapel is too small for so many
people. They have plans to build a new one within the year, but the
attendance is going to continue to grow during that time ha! Should
get pretty interesting.
Yesterday we were visiting investigators before church, helping them
get ready to attend and all. A man stopped me in the street and
explained that he was from El Salvador and on his way to the States.
He was speaking English and explained that his family is over there in
the States and he's just trying to get back to them. He asked me for
money. I explained that we don't carry money on Sundays, so
unfortunately we couldn't help him. He got angry and explained that
God would help him because he has faith. I told him take care and we
left. We went to visit a family and started to head back. I said a
quick prayer in my heart that the guy we had just met would be safe
and all. Then suddenly he was coming toward us. He showed me that he
had gotten about 7 quetzales (enough to cross the border into Mexico).
He said, 'See!? I have faith, and God helped me. You didn't help
me, you aren't of God. You're a liar!!!!' He said it with hatred in
his eyes. I could have said a lot of things. He started to walk away
and I yelled to him, hey I prayed for you man! Haha but I think I
contributed involuntarily to the stereotype that all gringos are rich,
stuck up, and racist. I felt sad about that. The guy probably hates
Mormons now too. I want Christ to come and fix everything in the
world. I've never wanted that as badly as I want it now. How great
will be that day!
Well that's kind of a sad story to end on, but this week went better
overall! Thank you guys for everything. Thank you for the birthday
wishes and your prayers, I can feel them! I love you guys so much.
More than you know. You're the best.
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.