Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011
Hey! You guys all sounds way happy! Haha I accidentally tacked on an
extra s on that sound. I'm going to leave it there. Dad! I hope you
got my letter in time for your birthday? But if not, Happy Birthday!
You sound way happy and I wish I could have been there. I hope you
realize how much I love you and appreciate everything you do. That
could sound cliche and all, and on top of that expressing emotion and
love in an email is kind of tough; but I say that in all honesty and
with my heart. You always talk about the amazing examples that we've
had the privilege of knowing, and although that is certainly true,
Brock and I have often talked about how you and Mom are such
incredible people and how lucky and blessed we are to have you as our
parents.
The house sounds absolutely awesome. Not much progress on the radio
front. We're waiting for the bishopric to approve it. And because of
some recent events, we feel like the Bishop doesn't really trust us a
whole lot. I won't go into detail, but I'm tired of being
misinterpreted and reproved by people for doing what I know is right.
It sometimes makes me question what is right and wrong, which is not a
fun thing to go through. But it's just frustrating. As far as
animals, that lizard is a smaller species than the iguanas, and it's
faster. I've only seen one snake here. Spiders aren't a big problem
here, Elder Pickett and I torched a pretty big one a few weeks ago
though. It was a little smaller than my hand. We caught a bat.
Aside from that there are just a lot of iguanas and chickens and geese
(the geese are the worst, so annoying). And the chicken, what an
animal. I swear the chicken was created to make man appreciate the
fact that he is not a chicken, if not the Lord would've designed
chicken meat to grow on trees. Such stupid animals haha. But they
taste good. As far as Christmas, I'm not too sure yet. There are
some cool things I would like to buy, but perhaps I should wait until
my last month or something?
Mom, the weather has been a lot better! Two tropical storms hit this
week and we've had tons of rain. People kind of hate it here, but I'm
loving it. I wake up cold in the mornings! Then I realize that my
thermometer reads 79 degrees haha!
I did get the yellow envelope! I thought I mentioned that, the one
with the birthday cards and quotes and stuff! Thank you for that, I
loved it!!! I got it about three weeks ago I think. And it's good to
hear that you're doing better this week as far as sleeping and stuff.
I feel ya with the whole work out thing. I feel it too, because I
haven't been so diligent this week. But sometimes I'm just soooo
tired!
Aubrey! Good to hear from you! Good to hear you're doing so great!
Sounds like you're busy, but it's a good busy! The pictures I sent
are on shutterfly. And you mentioned sending some pictures, but they
didn't come through.
Haley, the pictures are awesome!!! And your Homecoming pictures are
awesome, you're dress is gorgeous! So are you! As far as the thing
in Africa, go big or go home. Seriously, do it. I look forward to
your big email. From what I hear, it sounds like you're doing a great
job as a leader. Good work and keep it up! You are meant to do great
things. Random thought... do you ever practice piano?
Brock, thank you for your email. I miss you man! I mean I miss
everyone, but you know. The whole brother thing is just different.
Keep on keepin on in school!
The Lord has blessed the district tremendously. We have had a
powerful couple of weeks and look forward to this second half of
October. Changes were interesting. Elder Cartagena left for the
mountains and I received Elder Ramos. This is the first time I have
received an elder having been in the area beforehand. I like it, I
know what's going on and I get to show him how we want to do things.
The
Lord has blessed me so much and I feel like I am more fully developing
the attribute of charity. I write something that I appreciate about
him every night and that helps so much. People try and point out
flaws, but if I'm focused on the positive, there's no room for the
negative. I recently read Elder Wirthlin's talked ¨Come what may and
love it¨ and learned a lot. That's a good talk.
I have a lot to look forward to right now. Challenges as always, but
lots of good to focus on. We have some very obedient missionaries in
the district right now. It will be a good time. Elder Tacam was just
assigned as a zone leader! He will be great. Elder Molina was just
assigned as assistant to the president! That made me so happy. He
will be amazing. Dad, you mentioned something about all my friends
being assigned to leadership positions and to not get anxious about
it. I feel like I have plenty to learn in my current assignment and
although thoughts like that have come, I feel like the Lord has
something else in store. My patriarchal blessing mentions a lot about
leadership and I feel like it doesn't really matter when that comes.
The Lord won't ask how many positions I held.
Thank you all for everything, all the advice and support. I love you
all so much (I say that every week because it's true). Have an
awesome week!!!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.