Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"A highlight for my mission." Elder Carlos H. Amado visits our mission

Monday, January 30, 2012 12:31 PM


Dear familia,
This past week was probably the craziest week I've had in the mission. I'm exhausted, but so happy. We went on exchanges like six times in five days. It was really pretty nuts. The last week of the month is always hectic as we try to reach our goals. Sounds like you guys had a pretty crazy week too. Haley! You're superwoman. Keep it up! Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. To answer your questions...My companion is great. He's getting tired, and it's a fight to stay on schedule, but he really is a great missionary. Very very intelligent and very charismatic. He has an incredible ability to communicate. It's fun to contact with him, especially because he's the only companion I've had that actually likes to contact (sad huh!). As far as running for president again, it's totally up to you. Just something to consider is how busy you currently are. You'll be very tired next year and sometimes you'll just want to have some down time. You'll always be in the council to help out, but it would be much easier to do so as pres. It would be cool to have weekends and vacation days where you could come chill at the Y for a couple nights (don't know if that'll be possible), but it would be awesome. It might be hard if you're too busy. Those are my thoughts. I dunno what kind of a classes schedule you're looking at.
I liked what you closed with, expectations are set to progress, not to recognize failure (or however you worded it). That's so true! Sometimes it's easy to lose that perspective, especially when expectations aren't met haha.
Mom!
The city life is very different. It's hard to contact because there aren't a whole lot of houses in our area, and when we talk to people in the street we just find that they come from very far to work. So that's new for me. But there's interesting things that happen, like the last couple nights there has been a gringo preaching in the central park (in english with a translator) talking about the evil of America and how Guatemala needs to hold onto God in order to avoid such punishment. I didn't get a lot of time to listen, but it was weird. Crazy gringos.
The city is called Coatepeque.
As far as rooming, I'm going to send an attachment to you. Elder Molina (being in the office) has been able to see the updates as far as housing and he and Elder Taylor are concerned that it's all going to fill up quickly. We want to get it taken care of this week and not worry about it. I am going to Retalhuleu tomorrow morning for a meeting and will talk to Elder Molina about it all. He wants to get a room tomorrow too. Here's the thing, I haven't heard from Austin yet. My hopes are to be able to room with him, Elder Taylor, and Elder Molina. But I want to make sure he's okay with that. We are thinking either King Henry or Liberty Square. I will be on the internet tomorrow morning to tell you what's going on, I don't know if somebody will be able to be close to the computer around 7:30 or 8 am?
Also, Elder Taylor's brother, Nick is probably going to call you guys. Could someone please ask Austin Eckel (tonight if possible) if he would be cool with that group in an apartment for six? That would leave two extra rooms for people that may want to join us.
And when do I need to sign up for classes?
Dad, sounds like it's been a crazy week. Seems like the new ward is awesome. And politics are soooo ridiculous. And that sounds perfect with the family that may rent. That would be cool.
So we had a meeting with Elder Carlos H. Amado on Tuesday. It was a hilight for my mission. He talked for about four hours. Afterwards we had a meeting with him and President, just us six zone leaders that were present. It was so cool. He is the oldest Seventy in the church right now, the former President of the Mexico area, he's also been president of the Central America Area. He talked a lot about the methods we use when teaching. Then he talked about the Savior. He said he recently saw an image of Christ in a local church that depicted Him as very skinny and weak. He talked about how Nephi saw Mary and she was incredibly beautiful. On top of that, Christ's Father is the God of the universe. He was not ugly and weak. He was and is the most powerful man and leader the world has ever seen. He had a perfect understanding of the human body, and He took good care of His body. He expelled the vendors in the temple with ease despite the fact that there were millions of Jews in the city. It was packed, but He made a presence. He is perfectly confident, loving, humorous, intelligent, and strong. Elder Amado said, THAT is the Christ I know and follow.
Then he told us the story of Ammon. He explained how Ammon was a prince, being King Mosiah's son. He was instructed by the best teachers of the land, a warrior, an eloquent speaker, an intelligent student. He was very well trained. You can imagine him, brought before King Lamoni to be tried and probably killed. King Lamoni asks him what he's doing. He's tied up, probably beat up. But with all the eloquence of a royal prince he replies, I have come to live among your people. And then he asks if he can serve the King. King Lamoni was very impressed, and offered Ammon one of his daughters. He taught with authority and confidence, with understanding and power. Theres so much more, but it's cool to compare Ammon with missionaries of today. I come from a very wealthy part of the world, I've received an education from top notch teachers (on world standards). I've been instructed in the Priesthood of God. I've played on traveling sports teams with uniforms, participated in leadership conferences, things that most people here never get the chance to try. I have been royally prepared and tremendously blessed. And I have an incredible opportunity to use those things I've been taught and trained to do in order to bless the lives of others. I am so humbled to think of it that way. And it makes me even more excited about this work. Thank you, Mom. Thank you, Dad. Thank you for all the opportunities you gave me and encouraged me to take. I love you. Haley I love you! Brock and Aubrey, you too! Brock, what did you think of that talk I sent you?
Have an awesome week. Tell the Tyler clan I say what's up. Haha! Chad's getting married. Wish I could be there. Miles to go before I sleep.
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler