Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, March 7, 2011

A week of ups and downs

Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: Back Home...


I don't know what happened with last week's email, but I just saw that
it didn't send last week. So here it is! I'll write another one
after I send this. Sorry about that. I blame Guatemala technology :P

Wow it sounds like things are way busy! Lot's of good, exciting,
stressful stuff going on. I love hearing about all of it! Haley, let
me know how everything goes this week. I'm glad to hear you're asking
someone to Sadie's. And that basketball game sounded so rad! Wish I
could see it! Take pictures during all these high school experiences!
Mom, you asked how I'm feeling physically. I'm feeling pretty good!
I exercise most mornings and I'm staying pretty healthy. I hope you
and Dad are feeling better today.
Haley, could you send Ryan's zip code por favor? Thanks :)
Thank you so much for that package with the tshirt, letter, and
diagram! The shirt is awesome, I used it today when we played soccer
(which I absolutely love.
I get an hour of internet time, but it goes so fast. I wasted a lot
of time trying to get those pictures sent last week, that's why I was
so pressed for time.
And I'm short again because I wrote a long letter to President
regarding some awesome experiences we had this week.
Dad, regarding re-registering... I don't really know if I want to
register as a Republican again. I hate the two-party system and I
consider myself to be more of a Republican-Libertarian. Would that
make me an independent? I always trust your advice, how are things
looking and do you have any suggestions to help me make a more
educated decision?
Question of the week: I've been praying and fasting for the gift of
charity, and Moroni says that to obtain charity, we need to pray with
all the energy of heart. What can I do to make my prayeres more
fervent? How can I improve that?

Okay, so this week was intense. Ups and downs, like always, but I'm
developing a better perspective.
So first, on Tuesday we went to visit a man who was dying of a stomach
disease. His family (who aren't members) asked us to come and give
him a blessing. So we did, and we taught the family afterwards. When
we showed up, the man was lying on the floor with wet towels over his
stomach. He was barely conscious and I felt like he didn't have much
time. My companion gave the blessing and left a blessing of healing
upon the man. Three days later, he passed away. It was tough for me.
That's the second time that's happened since I've been here in Cuyo.
It was tough for it to happen a second time. But I was praying to
understand better. And now I understand more fully that death is an
essential element to mortality. For some, especially this man, death
was a relief. He was in pain. It wasn't the will of the Lord to keep
him in that state. As I prayed, I felt a true sense of comfort. I
feel a lot better about it.

When we got here in Cuyo, we started teaching a man named Luis. All
of his family are members of the church. He has rejected the
missionaries for 12 years. Yesterday, he came to church for the first
time. Last night, we scheduled his baptism for this coming Saturday.
I'm so excited for him and his family. They've been so happy as he's
accepted the gospel. I can see a change in him and he's discovering
the joy of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I've learned that we should
never give up on people. Some reject the gospel, some reject it for
twelve years. But during those twelve years, the Lord is giving them
the experiences they need to be prepared to one day accept the gospel.
I think of Brock and his mission. I wonder how many seeds he planted
that one day may develop into converts.

We had 10 investigators come to church yesterday. We have been so
blessed. All we have done is our best. We've been obedient and we've
tried hard. We've had some failures and a lot of opposition. But
it's all been worth the effort. Good things are in store for the near
future.

It's getting hot here in Cuyo.

Oh! I got a letter from the Cranes! It was so awesome to hear from
them! I read their letter and the ones from Mom three times each
haha! Such a good week. Some really hard things, but some really
good stuff too.
Love you all!
Take care!
Haley, good luck with things.
Tell the Massy's I love them!