Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 1:01 PM
Hey!
Interesting week, I don't really remember much of what happened haha
it went by really fast. But first, thank you for all of your support.
Hearing from each of you is such a boost every week.
First, to answer your questions.
Mom, I think the best way to help with Haley's work load is basically
be there for her. Being so involved next year will be a challenge,
and having someone to talk to was always a big help to me. It's
simple, but I dunno. It helped me. And keep her level headed haha!
And I dunno, just being available to help out with things when there's
a lot to do. I'm not sure that I could tell you a specific thing to
help her with, but just being there to support her will help out a
ton.
Dad, I do get the Liahona in English and it's always such a boost.
This month there's an old talk from Bruce R. McConkie in there. We
watched that talk a few weeks ago and it's so powerful. It knocks my
socks off. I assume it'll be in the Ensign too. And as far as
experiences to share in the Eagle Court of Honor, I'll have to think
about that one. I'll get back to you on that. When is the Court of
Honor?
For Easter down here they celebrate 'Semana Santa' (Holy Week). It's
been really weird as I've watched them making preparations for the
celebrations. It's a Catholic holiday. Huge groups of masked people
randomly start parading in the street. It's almost creepy, but kinda
funny. During the actual week they have various other celebrations.
They choose somebody to act as the Savior and carry a cross and they
beat him and make him walk for miles. And then they have something
called prosessions? I think thats what they would call it in English.
But they have a humongous float type thing made of gold and wood and
what not. They have a couple hundred people carrying it. They pay
money to help carry it and the purpose it to pay for their sins
through the weight of the float thing. It hurts to carry it and they
believe that forgiveness comes through their pain as they carry this
thing. Kind of a different way to celebrate Easter.
Haley! Keep it up in track. Isn't the 400 killer! I love it haha.
But keep on improving and be diligent. You're a sophomore, if you
keep working on your form and build some strength over the next couple
years you'll be the Flash. Promise.
Brock and Aubrey, I already responded to you guys. Love you guys!
So this week...
I had a pretty cool experience with an evangelical guy on Saturday.
He showed up while we were chopping firewood for a less active member.
He came up and took the axe and began to teach us how to do it haha.
Keep in mind that my comp is an expert at it. But then the guy
started teaching us Spanish. He assumed neither of us could
communicate. Haha it was awkward and funny. I just went with it.
Then I turned the Spanish lesson into a religious conversation. My
comp started talking to the member and so I was left with this guy.
Turns out he had studied to become a pastor, so he was pretty
knowledgable about the Bible. We talked a bit and he realized I was
one of the 'Mormones.' He told me that he likes what we do and all,
but he just doesn't agree with the whole Joseph Smith thing. He
emphasized the fact that Jesus is the only one that can save us. I
asked him who he thinks Joseph Smith is for us Mormones. He explained
that the way he understands it is Joseph Smith to us is like the
Virgin Mary to the Catholics. I said no. The Catholics worship Mary,
we do not worship Joseph Smith. I explained to him that Joseph Smith
was called by God to be a prophet, just as Moses, Isaiah, Noah, etc.
I then reaffirmed my belief in Christ as the Savior. Then he was
like, well Joseph Smith can't be a prophet because the Lord said in
the New Testament that Paul was the last apostle/prophet on the Earth.
I tried to avoid Bible bashing, but I was unsure as to what to tell
him. Sometimes it's intimidating to talk to some of these evangelico
guys. I told him I was unfamiliar with that scripture, and then bore
testimony. I said, 'I know that the Lord did not say that because He
gave John the Revelator power to stay on the Earth until His Second
Coming. If the Lord had said Paul was the last one, He would have
contradicted Himself. I know the Lord is perfect. I know that Joseph
Smith was called by God to restore the fulness of the Gospel and
prepare the world for the Second Coming.' I hadn't planned on saying
any of that. I just opened my mouth and had faith in the power and
authority of my calling and said it. The guy stood there quiet and
just looked at me. Then he said, 'I'm going to go study my Bible and
I want to talk to you again.' I said that would be great. I tried to
not be prideful about it, but it was a cool experience as I followed
the Spirit and avoided contention.
So I've mentioned how great my companion is. And that is still true,
but we've hit some speed bumps that have really made for a rough time
this week. I try to be humble and serve him. I try to love him, but
we got in an argument and the Spirit completely left. It was an ugly
moment. It took everything I had to swallow my pride and apologize to
him. But as soon as I did, the Spirit returned and I felt better.
But it was so hard to apologize. I felt that I hadn't done anything
wrong, but there was still a spirit of contention in there. It was
tough. But I learned a lot. Ugh this mission can be tough sometimes,
but I love it. Keep Elder Eckel in your prayers, he's having a tough
time. He sent me a quick note.
Thank you all so much for your letters. I love you and miss you a
ton, but know that I'm loving it right now. Things are tough, but I'm
growing up a lot.
Take care this week and keep doing great things!
I love you!
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.