Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, May 23, 2011

Companions

April 18, 2011

Hey guys!!!
Sorry that the pictures don't work. I'm going to talk to Elder Bosen
about the site he uses to post pictures for his family. He got
permission from President to use it and I think that would be easier.
But as for right now, I don't have another way to send them. I'll get
on that though.
Mom, tell Brother Loucks hey! He's such a man. I never really
appreciated him when I had time to be around him.
As for Spanish, I'm doing pretty well with it. Having two Latin comps
has really helped me out. I can understand almost everything.
Speaking about certain topics in the street is still kinda tough
sometimes, simply because my vocabularly lacks development. But I
feel pretty comfortable with it.
Easter plans... Semana Santa is gonna be pretty crazy I guess.
Something always happens during the Holy Week, so President is going
to have us on lockdown for three days haha. We'll be studying,
reading, practicing teaching and stuff. Should be pretty boring and
relaxing haha but I'm looking forward to using the time to learn and
refocus and stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Are Brock and Aubrey by chance going to be in town for Mother's Day?
It would be cool to be able to talk to them too that day.
Dad, speaking of varying weather, it sounds like your flight was
pretty crazy, I hope everything's alright. Weather here is hard.
It's sunny and hot and dry every day. I get so excited when I wake up
to clouds because it's simply something new. 100 degrees every day
for six months is just ridiculous haha. On occasion we get rain, last
Monday it rained and it was sooo nice. But the coast is very
different from the rest of Guatemala. It's always hot. The area
where Brother VanTassel is going (tell him I say hi, by the way) is
probably in the mountains where it's cool and cloudy and beautiful.
We're in the armpit of the country haha. But they say that the rainy
season starts in May and it should be pretty insane. Especially in
Cuyo, sometimes it's impossible to work because the streets and
bridges are flooded. And President told us to be very very careful
with that. But all the more seasoned elders tell me it's manageable.
I'm just excited for a change in the weather (Haley give 'Drop in the
Ocean' by Ron Pope a listen for me, I just quoted it).
Transfers are going to be the 27th? of April. One of us is out of
here. I have a feeling that I'll be staying. We'll see.
As for things to send to prepare for the rainy season, I think it
would be better to talk about that over the phone. I don't really
know what I'll need yet.

Okay, so things with my companion have been difficult. Starting out,
everyone told me he was the most amazing missionary. And I believed
them and things were awesome. We work hard, he knows a lot, he's a
cool guy. But he's changed. It's made me think a lot about marriage.
Dad, what you mentioned regarding marriage really applies to what
I've been thinking about. Some people say that since the prophet said
marriage needs to be our first priority after the mission, that means
we need to do it right away. And yes, it's important to focus on
getting married and get on with our lives, but all things need to be
done in wisdom and order. I've heard too many stories of missionaries
going home and getting married in a rush. Later on, it falls apart.
Things can happen like my companionship. Things start out great and
then the person changes. I have a plan to make sure that doesn't
happen, but we'll see.


Tuesday we had a conference with President. He laid the smackdown.
He pointed out that if we aren't following the rules of the mission,
we don't love or trust the Lord. If we want the Spirit, we need to
work. We've been doing pretty well in Cuyo, but President pointed out
some things that we have been overlooking. I want to apply those
things and break the habits. But I can't do that if my companion is
unwilling. That's the important part of marriage, I feel like. We
are here to progress and improve. If one of the two is unwilling to
change in order to improve, that impedes the progress of the other. I
can't force anyone to do anything, all I can do is help that person
develop the desire to improve. But how do I do that? At some point,
the individual needs to develop his or her own initiative, exercise
his or her own agency and act. If he or she is unwilling, what can I
do? Nothing? Be patient? If an individual sees him or herself as
perfect when I see his or her flaws, how do I hope him or her realize
that he or she is imperfect while avoiding contention. I need to do
it lovingly and gently. But if that person doesn't want to hear about
those imperfections even in the gentlest presentation, it kindles the
pride of both people. Grrrr.

I love stuff like this, even though I hate it at the same time. I
know I'm learning from it all and that's what makes it cool. But darn
it's tough.
It sounds like you guys are doing so well! I love you all so much.
Keep having fun! Mom, I'm glad you had some good spiritual
experiences this week. Aren't those that best? I had one while
reading my patriarchal blessing this week. I felt so peaceful knowing
that everything will work out. Things may be hard now, but they will
be for the best.
Dad, be safe in Alemania (Germany). It's cool to hear that you're
trying to exercise more love for your coworkers. I hope that goes
well. Do you have any tips for that?
Haley, you're growing up and it's really weird, but really cool. I
hope you're having a good time, it sounds like you are!
Brock and Aubrey, you are awesome. Do you ever see any of my old
friends? I hope things go well this week. Brock, good luck with
finals! Aubrey, good luck with the job opportunity!
I love you all so much. Thank you for your support, your emails, and
your prayers. You're the best family ever. Nuff said. Haha
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler