May 2, 2011
It's already May and I hit 9 months last week! Crazy stuff...
Mom and Dad, thank you so much for your emails. Sounds like there is a ton going on haha!
Well, I had changes. Elder Tacam is now training in Cuyo. I am in Champerico. My companion's name is Elder Lillywhite. Champerico is directly on the beach. I saw the ocean for the first time in Guatemala last week! I now know that it's true that Nueva Concepcion is not the hottest area in the mission. Champerico is awful. It's so hot. I'm dying. But it's a cool area. There are a bunch of beach bums everywhere. Lots of drunks too haha. Our house is small, but very nice. I no longer have to shower with a bucket! But for the first two days we didn't know how to get the water pump on, so we went two days without a shower. That was wonderful ha!
Elder Lillywhite is from Kayesville, Utah. Our first night in the house he pulled out his authentic Zelda ocarina and started playing various video game themesongs on it. Haha it caught me off guard. He's rather quiet and he has a strong testimony. He likes to work hard, so I'm happy about that.
When I found out I had changes I had hardly any time to say goodbyes in Cuyo. It was all such a rush and I felt really bewildered the last week. I'll be honest it was a rough week. I read some notes from conference and read that we should consider praying for humility and for the Lord's love-filled correction. I did that and I got it. It wasn't fun and it doesn't make me want to do it again ha. My first day in Champe I was loving it all. But it got so tough so fast. We're opening the area (after it was closed for just two weeks), but that means we don't have any investigators and we spent hours contacting in the sun. We were kind of dropped there with nothing. We found some members and used their help to get started with stuff.
The branch has about 30-35 active members. I saw five priesthood holders yesterday at church. The crazy thing is that there are over 400 members in the branch. We have a lot to do.
I am junior companion, but have taken charge in the majority of planning, teaching, contacting, etc. Elder Lillywhite has 11 months, but is struggling with the language, so I've needed to step up a bit. It's been tough and I never know if I'm doing too much or too little. But I'm just doing it how I know best and it's working out so far.
But we did have a really cool experience our first day contacting. We were going door to door and saw a house down the road and decided to contact it. The lady invited us in and informed us that she is a member of the church. She told us that she saw us walking a ways down the road and told her family that we weren't going to come all the way to them. Her husband said, just wait, they will come. So we talked with them and she expressed a desire to come back to church. Her husband is not a member and expressed interest in the church. It was cool. From just the slightest impression that we should contact that house, we found a family that is ready to get back into the church.
Oh! Pictures. Could you set up an account on shutterfly.com? Elder Bosen uses that with his family and says it works well. I think we should try it. I'm going to ask permission from President to use it.
Mom, Happy Birthday (Thursday)!!! And seminary teacher!!! That's so cool! I'm sure you'll love that so much! That was a cool story you shared about Haley sharing her testimony and all. I hope she's doing well. Sounds like she's feeling the impact of all the end of the year stuff. I remember that was the hardest, but the best time of the year in high school. Ah good times.
Dad, our number is 502-4057-3735. I think the best time to call would be 2 o'clock pm on Sunday. If it doesn't go through right, I can do what we did last time and call you to give the number and have you call back. Ah I'm so excited to talk to you guys! Mom, I'll tell you over the phone what I am in need of ha. Thank you!
And Dad, thank you for that insight from John chapter 9. That's a really cool detail.
It's really weird to think about a new house and a move. I mean, it's awesome, but just kind of weird. I'll miss those sunsets over the field behind the house. But it sounds like the new house will be a great area. Is it in a new ward? Exciting stuff!
We heard about bin Laden last night! Our neighbor was watching it on the news. He's a guy that gets around in a wheelchair and wears a black hat with a Soviet Russia symbol. Haha interesting fellow.
Haley! Congrats on your math test! Keep it up and push through this last month of school. It will make the rest that much better.
Brock and Aubrey, I love you guys.
I'm so excited to talk to you all.
Oh and thanks for the pictures. Haley, you're beautiful (and sunburnt)!
Love you guys!
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.