Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: Happy 4th of July!
Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
America! Haha my home! As I think about the states, I think about
all the perceptions people have here. I mean, I of course remember it
for myself and all of it's greatness and also its flaws, but people
here all look at America with a wide array of perceptions. It's
interesting. This week we talked to a man that tried to explain to us
that America is the beast that is destroying the world. Another asked
us if it's true that all the food is full of vitamins and that's why
everyone is so strong and healthy and beautiful. Others have told us
their experiences from when they worked there (many in Colorado) and
how they absolutely loved it. They tell how they had to work hard,
but they truly enjoyed the time they had there. Some were there
legally, but most were there illegally. One guy was there legally and
messed up. He got a DUI and had to come back. It's so interesting to
think about the impact that America has on the rest of the world. I,
in my prideful and experienced point of view, can see the blessings
that have come to this place as a result of my homeland. Sometimes
I'm hated for being a 'gringo' and other times I'm loved for it.
Regardless, I feel tremendously blessed for having lived my life in
the states and also for having seen a contrast outside.
Today we watched 'Rio', an animated movie, and afterwards played the
National Anthem. Tonight, we're having a BBQ at our zone leaders'
house. Elder Lillywhite made fudge for the occasion haha. It should
be a good time.
Aubrey, I loved the pictures. Thank you for sending them. And if
you're ever having a rough time with all that goes on, give 'Swim' by
Jack's Mannequin a listen. That one always picks me up. Know that
you are included in my daily prayers along with the entire family. I
love you too!
Brock, your emails are always so epic. They make me so excited for
the future. It's very random and ironic that you mentioned chess. I
was sitting on a 2-hour bus ride this week thinking and started
thinking about chess. I asked myself what kind of a chess piece I
would be if I could be a chess piece (weird thought, I know, don't
judge me). I then thought about how I would totally be a rook. The
rook just sits and watches for awhile and isn't used right off the bat
(typically). Whenever I use it early, I lose it. But if I wait to
use it, I can usually use it very effectively. I felt like in life, I
usually wait and watch. Then I come into play and get these random
and big opportunities to participate and make a difference. Whenever
I play chess, I wait to use the rook and it's usually one of the most
effective finishing pieces. But sometimes it's never used, like a
back up. But I can apply that to school, student council, sports, the
mission, BYU, and all sorts of things in my life. I dunno, random
thought. Haha I'm weird.
Your gun sounds sick btw. I want to go shooting. And camping. Shoomping.
Haley, your poem is off the heezy. I loved it. Sounds like you're
staying way busy. I love your spiritual thoughts and I love how you
went ahead and used the names that you received from Jan. Where is
Jordan Packham going? Oh and Homecoming sounds like it has the
potential to be pretty siiickkkk.
Dad, sounds like life is kinda crazy still. Lot's of interesting
stuff at work and with the whole house(s) situation. And I'm with
you, it's crazy that a year ago we were just kickin it at Margaret and
Bert's and up at Sundance. I loved that vacation! Tell Grandad and
Uncles Craig and Bruce I say hello! Also, all the hopes and plans
about getting a home in the mountains... If you think about it, ten
years ago we were in Indiana. As much as I loved Indiana, I am so
happy and grateful that we moved to Colorado. The fact that we live
there and have the mountains so close is the coolest thing in the
world. Fort Collins is the bomb. And I'm way excited for the new
house and everything! I hope all goes well with it.
Mom, I do feel the prayers. Thank you so much. And thank you for
getting that box together and everything! And I loved what you shared
about the baseball game and your childhood. I love hearing/reading
things like that!
So this past week was a little nuts. Elder Maurer called us on Monday
afternoon and informed us we would be receiving a new elder in
Champerico. We asked him when. He laughed and said they were on
their way! Haha gosh. We rearranged the whole house and cleaned it.
Our house was small for two people. Now we're a trio! It's been fun,
but kind of crazy. Elder Haws is a cool guy. He's from Mesa,
Arizona. Even though he grew up in the heat, he sweats as much as I
do haha. Even he thinks it's hot here.
Being in a trio is interesting, I would explain more if I had more time.
Last week we had another conference with President! It was the best
one thus far. He introduced the new focus of the mission. Finding,
teaching, and baptizing with members. That's been the focus all
along, but now he wants us to get the members to do all of that
without us. He told us to ask the branch president and the priesthood
holders of our areas how long it's been since they've baptized last.
He said many of them have never baptized (which is true). He
explained that most priesthood holders rarely use the precious keys of
baptism outside of their missions. That needs to change. It was cool
to hear him speak as always.
This week was tough! Having Elder Haws come was a cool change, but I
feel bad that his first week in the field was so difficult. We only
had three new investigators and we were so down about it. Then our
zone leaders congratulated us for having the most new investigators in
the whole zone! Sounds like it was a tough week for the entire
mission. Satan is working hard. But I know that the Lord has huge
plans in store for the coming month(s). I love the work! The coolest
thing that happened is yesterday we broke the attendance record since
being here in Champerico. 52 were at church! Still only five
priesthood holders though. That's gonna change though.
I love you guys and hope all is well! Have an awesome week, you're
the best. Thank you so much for your emails. Love you!
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.