Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, March 26, 2012

Service...a fundamental part of spirituality

March 5, 2012

Hi everyone,
Spring break! Have fun on the few days off that yalls get. That will be nice to have a quick break. Haley, have an awesome time at Disney World.
Mom! Getting time with President is kind of hard, but he does it to the zone leaders on purpose. He's wayyyyy cool with all the missionaries, but really hard on the zone leaders. I think it's his method of urging us to rely more on the Savior than on him. I think things with housing are squared away. I know the apartment is officially ours, so no worries there. Still haven’t heard from Austin
Pants would probably be good. I’m like a 33 waste and a 33/34 length. Black, blue, and/or gray are fine. I have two pairs that are fine and my suit pants are fine. So maybe three pairs would be perfect. Thank you! Also, I’m going to try to find some shirts here, they sell good brands like Arrow in some places, but my collars are wearing out. Also, my scripture case broke. So frustrating! Coatepeque is ruining all my things and the rainy season hasn't even started yet haha ahhhh. No, it's more like have 19 months in the mission. Hahaha whoa.
Thank you for your prayers, I can honestly feel them.
Dad, that is such a bumber (haha bummer) that nobody could go skiing with you! I totally would have.
This morning in the newspaper we saw an article from Warren Jeffs, the perverted criminal leader of the fundamentalist church. He sent an article from jail to all of Mexico declaring that the Lord has commanded them to repent. He's been doing this all over the place apparently because he claims that the Second Coming is almost here. Unfortunately 90 percent of Guatemalans (the other 10 percent are Mormons haha) are going to mistake the 'Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' with the true 'Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints'. But the truth with continue to roll forth boldly, nobly, and independent.
The soccer ball idea- sounds good to me, but I am not allowed to contact him to ask him to do it. If he could send me an email or something we'll see how to work that out.
Speaking of scripture study and prayers and service, President Maravilla was asked awhile back to do a study on the things that make an RM go cold. He said that almost all returned missionaries continue to read the scriptures and pray every day. But they do it out of habit. Many stop reading with the Spirit, they stop looking for revelation. But that isn't the real cause of their inactivity. He said it's a lack of service. They may have a calling at church, but it's nothing like the mission. They stop visiting the people who are in need. They lose that and oftentimes don't know how to keep it going after the mission (or they forget that they should). That kind of scared me because I realized that although I have plans to study the scriptures intensely and have a schedule so that I can keep my spiritual routine going, I forgot that service is a fundamental part of spirituality. I'm glad I heard him talk about it because I wouldn't have remembered otherwise. That goes in line with what you mentioned.
So the zone still hasn't crawled out of the hole we fell in. We're struggling with reaching our goals, really struggling. I think we just weren't prepared spiritually for Lucifer's latest attack. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
This week I went on exchanges with Elder Munns, he's a district leader in the zone. He's one of the most down to earth guys I've met in the mission and it was so great to be with somebody who I can work hard with and also relate to. We are pretty sure we're related somehow. But that was cool to have some bro time and have the same goals and desires to work hard. My companion is hanging in there, he's on his last three weeks, but it's hard for him to care much. I'm trying to motivate him, he already knows. But we'll see if a few kicks in the pants with help this week.
Well my time is running out. I love you guys a ton, sorry this email isn't as long, I had to send some stuff to the stake president and that ate up some of my time. I love you guys so much! Have an awesome Spring Break. Dad stay safe overseas. Mom, I love you! Brock and Aubrey you guys rock. Haley have a blast.
Love you all,
Elder Austin Tyler