March 26, 2012
Everyone in the mission is in a very good mood, March was an incredible month. Our former record as a mission was 181 baptisms with 30 families or something like that. The mission goal since President came two years ago has been 250 baptisms with 40 families. We closed this month with 242 baptisms and 39 families! It has been amazing. Our zone set a new record and I honestly don't know why the Lord blessed so much. 26 people got baptized here in Coatepeque. I'm not sure that we deserve such huge blessings, but nevertheless, I am very thankful.
The mission is interesting as far as how much my eyes have been opened. My testimony has grown so so much. But at the same time I see and hear and find so many things that I just don't understand. Being in a place like the Guatemalan coast, where just about everybody attends a church, brings with it such a clash of ideologies and such confusion among the people. This week we contacted a kid that goes to an evangelical church. We explained a bit about the Restoration and testified of Jesus Christ as our Savior and then testified that Joseph Smith was a prophet. He said, 'well if you've received an answer from the Holy Ghost saying that he's a prophet, then he must have been a prophet.' He then went on to testify of the prophets he's seen and of their many miracles. 'I've seen them heal people on the verge of death, I've seen them cast out devils and preach with such power and holiness that I can't deny their holy callings as prophets of God.' I just wanted to transfer my understanding to this young man's mind so that he could understand the importance and reality of the Priesthood, of the order and perfection of the Kingdom of God, of the purity of Christ's doctrine, of the confusion that exists in the Christian world today. How can a man be a prophet of God if he prophecies that Christ was going to come on May 12th of last year? How can prophets have differences of doctrine? If there is one true and living God, how can there exists so many doctrines that supposedly lead to the same salvation when Christ Himself taught of the straight and narrow path?
'But what about the miracles?' thought the young man. 'What about the feeling I get as this pastor controls the Spirit in such a way as to keep at bay the demons that try to enter the church and disrupt the meeting? What about all that? The healings?'
The adversary has become a master of stimulation and pleasing the carnal mind. Sometimes this place can be such a frustrating environment to teach in. This part of the world is a spiritual battleground and people see so many things that confirm their belief in God. But the hard part is directing that belief into a faith in Jesus Christ, not a faith in their pastor, their church, or the traditions of their family.
So this week was kind of tough. My companion hit a brick wall of exhaustion and trunkiness and it took it's toll on us both. I realized that I only have four months left and it weirded me out. I'm pretty tired and I look forward to changes, but it will be weird to see Elder Cortez go. He's taught me a lot and it's been a good three months.
I am posting some sweet pictures. Last week we went to a waterfall in Colomba and today we went to the beach again. Some good solid P-days.
Mom! I love the idea of a picture in my room. I'll look for one I like. Also, that's crazy about ward boundary changes! Sounds kind of fun actually. The note you sent me after your main email... sounds like a good idea to pray about it.
Haley!
Haha John told me about his engagement!! WHOOOOAAAAA! I'm so excited for them. And Alyssa too! Wow! And how's Micah doing? Your email cracked me up haha dreaming about Chris Brown...
Dad!
I dunno how you do it with all that traveling. Sounds like a really exhausting schedule. The shopping and driving in China sound a lot like here. I could get a tailored suit for about 1000 Quetzales (120 dollars) and all kinds of cool stuff haha. I've seen some missionaries get suits tailored with a Guatemalan flag as the inside material. Pretty fly.
Mom, I love this picture of the Quetzaltenango temple. I dunno if it's official or not. But if you could get a print of it, I would absolutely love it. It's on this page: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/public-invited-quetzaltenango-guatemala-temple-open-house
Well this week should have some new changes. Thank you guys for writing me every week. I really am grateful for that. It's so good to hear from you.
I love you guys so much. Have an awesome week!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.