Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, April 2, 2012

The future is so bright....

April 2, 2012

Hey everybody!!!
April is going to be nuts. I simply can't believe how fast time is going. I can't keep track of things. It's really weird, but not in a bad way.
Thanks for all of the awesome emails. I need to thank you guys for writing me every week. I have never gone a week without an email and that is such a blessing. I love you guys.
Aubrey!
That's awful you all got sick... and twice!!! Terrible. I will totally let you cut my hair, I won't have any money to pay anywhere!! Paragliding sounds like the most epic anniversary celebration ever.. You guys are such an awesome couple. I don't like expressing that to a computer who will then relay the message to you, but I'm so excited to hang out with you guys. The holi festival! That thing is way fun and the pictures are awesome. Haha Brock is a stud. He looks skinny!
Brock!
Haha thanks for the heads up about the hahas! Haha! You were so right about the missionary hype. I would have been disappointed had it not been such an epic conference. I learned so much.
And what the heck, you all have seen Austin and I still haven't heard from him. Haley, thanks for his email address, ha I'll see what's up.
And your experience about fishing, that's kinda why I don't like fishing so much. About wind rivers... When I get back I'm going to be so exhausted, but I can't rest. I want some guy time in the mountains, so yes I would love to go to Wind Rivers. But I also want some time with Mom and Haley. I felt weird about the Wind Rivers AND flaming gorge thing cause I'm only gonna have three weeks and there's a lot I need to do at home, but I would love to go backpacking. But I also want some Mommy time and some sistah time.
Speaking of chess... Elder Munns beats me every time we play and it is sooo frustrating. I also want to get better. I accept your offer of apprenticeship.
Mom!! I got the box!!! Thank you so much, the pants are perfect, they fit great!
I, too, got really sad when conference ended. All of us were so depressed when it was over!
Easter here is different, it's an entire Holy Week. On Thursday and Friday the city will be emptied, everyone goes to the beach. It's as big as Christmas. So President has planned a Book of Mormon reading marathon with each zone. We have to try to do it 36 hours straight. The first zone to finish gets a prize. It's going to be so hard. No sleep and little time to eat. And President said we can't catch up on sleep afterwards... a little intense. I'm so tired already!!! We're probably gonna buy rubber balls to throw at each other when someone falls asleep. It'll be a lock-in in the chapel. Should be fun!
Ginger's allergies sound pretty epic! Kind of funny!
Good to hear that eggs are not so unhealthy! I was worried about that, I eat lots of eggs, but was worried about all the cholesterol, but I also wondered why God would make such a convenient so unhealthy. Haha I like your random thoughts!
Haley!
Thank you so much for the addresses. I haven't gotten any letters from Jonathan... which is awful, I've wanted to hear from him for forever!
Miracle doctor! Sounds awesome, but I must say I laughed when I read, 'she can fix my breathing problem, I forget how, but she can!' Hahahaha! I liked that line.
Yes, I saw Elder Archuletta. Where's he going? Hopefully Africa to prove he isn't a pretty boy with special privileges.
You are in my prayers.
Dad!
John and Erin caught me by surprise too!
And I loved Elder Nelson's quote about the big bang. That was soo good!
Working at the MTC would be so great, I'll look into that. I don't know where else I would work and I won't have much time to look before classes start. I could use help, Brock if you have any connections...
It would be incredible to get Friday's off of classes. I don't know if it's possible, but I would like as few classes as possible on Fridays.
You are superman for traveling so much and staying caught up.

So my new companion's name is Elder Villatoro. He's from Huehuetenango, Guatemala! He used to be evangelical, but the Book of Mormon had a huge impact on him. He has 10 months in the mission and is a very dedicated and fun missionary. I have been blessed with a stud companion from what it looks like so far and I am soooo thankful.
The zone had a lot of changes, 10 left! And 10 of the 23 current missionaries have less than 4 months in the mission! Kinda crazy.
Conference! We watched it in English in the High Council room. We had some technical problems, but got it all worked out pretty well. I absolutely loved it! I learned so much. President Eyring's first talk really hit me hard. It's been a hard six months, and that talk really spoke to me. I think one of my favorite parts was when Elder Holland finished his talk and said, 'Don't delay, it's getting late.' It was a powerful indication to me that time is ticking and we have so much to do before the end. So many people needed to hear that. The prophet's talks were also very inspiring. And I always love Elder Scott. He has such a personal way of speaking. I learned a lot from him.
What I thought coming away from General Conference...
Diligence to a daily routine is vital in our spiritual well being and progress. We can't give up on the little everyday things.
Trials are necessary. One time I asked the Lord to try me and help me learn humility. It was awful haha. I don't want to do it again, but after Elder Eyring's talk I feel like I shouldn't shy away from challenges. And fear is the opposite of faith.
I need to share the Gospel with people when I get home. Everyone does.
As I reflect on the past several months and the companions I've had, I realize just how important it is for me to look for an eternal companion who won't burn out. It gets so hard to keep things going when the other doesn't make an effort. On the other hand, when both are dedicated to working hard, they lift each other. Marriage and the family are way more important and profound than I currently understand and I need to remember that going into this next year of my life... weird to think about that. But cool.
Miracles come with faith and understanding. As we better understand the Priesthood, and the more righteous we are, the more miracles we will find. I need to study the Priesthood. I have so much to study still!
I also need to be more grateful.
Those are my unorganized spiritual thoughts and goals coming out of conference. I still need to review my notes.
Also, the Carabantes family, the way awesome one that got baptized in January and March, was in all sessions of Conference. We had a FHE with them last night and discussed what we learned. Helping a family like that to find the Gospel just helps me better understand my calling and the potential of a family. This is a marvelous work.
I love you guys so much. The future is so bright, even though it will be full of challenges. I'm excited for everything! Thank you for your love, faith, support, and examples. Have an awesome week!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler