Hey!
I got so many emails today! Ahhh I love it but I don't have much time
to write. This week was great. A lot of good breakthroughs were made
and I see some good things on the horizon. Mom, Marwin Palea could
use some help. You mentioned putting my name on the temple prayer
roll. Thank you. Could you also put his name in? He's having a
rough time. Thank you for the advice you gave me. Those quotes from
Elder Oaks were very insightful. Thank you. Dad, thank you for your
advice. The experiences from your mission are so helpful. And tell
Virginia I say hello! I'm sad about BYU, but it sounds like it was
such a fun season! Oh, Dad, the open house for the new chapel is such
a good idea, hopefully they can get it done on time. Shoot. I don't
have time to send pictures. I'm sorry! And Haley, thanks for sending
your pictures, looks like some really fun stuff! Thank you, Haley,
for your suggestions as well.
So. This week. Elder Tacam was made District Leader, such a relief.
The District was falling apart and he's doing a good job of figuring
out what needs to be done to fix it. Tuesday we had a conference with
President. I got to see Elder Christian Molina, my buddy from BYU.
He's in my first area! Haha he's loving it and doing really well
there. During the conference we watched Bruce R. McConkie's final
General Conference address before he passed away. It was one of the
most spiritually moving things I've seen. Very powerful. I recommend
watching it. Speaking of which, I am soooo excited for General
Conference! We'll be watching it in the Mazatenango stake center.
All of us gringos will get to watch it in English in our own private
room. I'm so excited. I can't even tell you haha!
Okay, crazy thing happened this week. During a couple of lessons we
had, I felt a little awkward because of how bold Elder Tacam was
toward our investigators. I felt as if he was trying to force them to
keep commitments and stuff. Wednesday night I was praying to know how
to talk to him about it. I felt like I should study a bit about the
topic and then bring it up in companionship inventory. Thursday
morning I studied the concept of being bold without being overbearing.
Then during our companionship inventory that morning, I brought it
up. After Elder Tacam pointed out the things I should work on, I
explained to him how I admire his ability to be bold and direct. But
then I explained that sometimes I feel like we take it overboard. The
fruit of the spirit is love, joy, faith, kindness, patience, etc. I
pointed out a few specific examples of where I felt we were
overbearing. And then I asked him if he thought we were taking it too
far. He told me no, that's how we should be and he will not change.
I did not like his response at all. It made me angry and it hurt my
pride. As soon as I recognized that, however, I began to realize that
maybe I had been too soft in my approach in teaching. Later on that
day I felt the Spirit confirm to me that although Elder Tacam may be a
little bit too bold at times, I had not been bold enough. The reason
the Spirit prompted me to talk to Elder Tacam about it was to help me
realize my own error. Don't get the wrong impression from this that
my companion and I don't get along. This is just one experience that
was a bit different. But I find it interesting how my own pride kept
me from seeing my own error. And I am thankful for that experience.
Although we shouldn't force people to accept our message, we should
not fear to make comfortable lessons. I have more to say, but no
time. Dang! Haha oh well. It was a cool, but tough experience.
I love you guys and it sounds like you're all doing great. Mom, I
haven't gotten your letter yet, but I eagerly look forward to
receiving it this week haha!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.