Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, March 28, 2011

Still in Cuyotenango!

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:45 AM

Hey! I didn't have transfers! And neither did my companion! We're
both still here in Cuyotenango.
Haley, I loved your email so much haha! I like the music video in
Denver idea. That would be way fun to do with Austin Eckel! And that
skittle bowling idea is awesome. Haha and yes, dating will probably
be kinda weird until college. But have fun with it and just do
creative stuff with your friends.
Mom, you sound busy, but you sound very happy. And you look so great
in the pictures that Dad sent! I mean, you all look great, but
especially Momma. And I, too, look forward to the Savior's coming.
The world is sooo messed up. As I've struggled with other people not
progressing or accepting our message, I've found joy in the fact that
I have the truth and so does my family. That future is bright and
there is so much to look forward to even though the world is falling
apart.
Dad, you totally should've gone to the second game in Denver. I mean,
you already know that, but I woulda gone haha! That's so exciting
they're in the sweet 16! Ahhhh but they're a year late (or two years
too early haha).
Brock and Aubrey. I love you guys a lot, but I would love you even
more if you wrote me more :D And Aubrey, I still need to get a letter
back to you! I hope you guys are doing great!
Oh! New car! Haha dibs on that when I get home? Nah just kidding... ;)
I'm gonna find a sweet job that pays like 20 bucks an hour and buy a
cool truck. That's my plan anyway. Hahaha right.
This week we put on an activity in a neighborhood where they've had
some of the paranormal activity that's been going on. The assistants
came down with a bunch of equipment to show a couple movies about the
Savior on a big projector. It was awesome that they came down to help
us. We invited 100 families or so. Not many showed up, but we had
about 35 or 40 people in attendance. More than half were
investigators (not members), so that was great. We were hoping for
more, but we got some references and I would say it was somewhat
succesful.
Okay, this next part I need to be careful. Haha or maybe I'll just
tell Mom starting out that I am fine and that trials are an essential
part to the mission and I'm not depressed. The truth is that it's
been a really really hard month and I need suggestions. We've been
able to find a lot of people to teach, but they always end up not
progressing. Our leaders are being really weird about our lack of
success trying to figure out what we're doing wrong and all.
Honestly, we're working hard and doing things right. We're changing
things that we need to improve and we work with the Spirit. I feel
like the Lord would be blessing us for our hard work and our desires
to improve and work by the Spirit. Obviously, there's still a lot
that I need to improve, but I'm working on those things. I talked to
Elder Peugnet (one of the APs) on Friday during the activity we had
and he gave me some good advice. I asked him if the Lord is just
trying our faith and patience still. He said that it could be that,
but he thinks the Lord already knows we have faith and patience. He
explained how we can apply the story of the brother of Jared to our
area. The Lord told the brother of Jared how to construct the barges,
but left it up to him to figure out how to make light. The Lord may
be waiting for us to come up with a plan to put into practice in order
to find His elect. Elder Peugnet told me to be creative, keep doing
what we should be doing, work with members, and present a plan to the
Lord. So this week Elder Tacam and I are trying to come up with new
stuff to apply to the area. We need to be creative. And I would
appreciate your suggestions. Dad, Mom, Brock, Aubrey, and Haley, how
can we be creative in following the Spirit in order to find the Lord's
elect, the one's who will progress and get baptized? What do you guys
think?
It's been hard. And I'm still excited to work every day and get to
it, but I feel like we need to start seeing results. We invited over
20 investigators and less actives to church this week and not a single
one showed up yesterday. It was discouraging. We had a goal to
baptize two families this month and I still have faith that we can
reach that goal, but maybe the Lord wants us to learn something or do
something before we find success. Thank you for your prayers.
There's a reason why I'm still in a good mood and excited to work
despite our lack of results. I can feel your support.
I got a note from Aunt Jan! They're heading our to New Zealand soon,
that's so great!
Well, take care this week and keep having fun with everything. Haley,
I suggest that you cut out one of the clubs you're involved in. You
don't want to get overloaded when Stuco is your responsibility. You
don't want other stuff to drown your focus on that group. As
president of that group, you need to make that your priority. Just a
bit of advice that I learned the hard way. How's track?
Love you guys so much!
Elder Austin Tyler