Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 1:48 PM
Family!!!! Thanks for all the awesome news. First of all, Momma, I
didn't get your email last week. But I had the treat of reading two
from you today :)
So transfers are on Wednesday and I don't find out what's going to
happen until tonight. I'm ready for anything I feel like. It'll be
good.
Today we played soccer and volleyball with the whole zone, including
the sisters. It was a good time. It got a little intense and that
was fun, but a bit dangerous haha.
Mom, to answer some of your questions... Studying is still my
favorite time of the day (personal study). I need to work on making
companionship study more enjoyable and effective. Sometimes it feels
like an interview and I don't learn a whole lot. But I'm working on
improving that.
Members are doing well. It's hard not having a chapel in Cuyo. The
attendance fluctuates a lot and the members have a hard time making
visits because the area is so big. A lot of the responsibility falls
on us missionaries. It's tough, but it's good to get to know all of
the members. Last night we visited Luis, the recent convert, and his
family. They're having some really tough trials and I was glad to be
there to help them out. It was really weird though, I felt
spiritually exhausted after that appointment. It was unlike anything
I've ever felt. I felt really stressed for them, but also like there
was hope and all that. It was a heavy appointment, but I feel like we
helped them out.
And Mom, I'm glad you were able to go to the temple. It sounds like
that was a huge boost. Thank you so much for your love and prayers.
I can feel it. And I love you so much. I pray for you daily. I hope
you have a good week :)
Dad, thank you for the banking FYI. I'll keep that in mind, ha I had no idea.
We heard about the earthquake, but I wasn't aware that it was so
devastating. We had tsunami alerts here, but nothing happened.
People were freaking out here in Cuyo even though we are up high and
like 40 miles from the coast.
My buddy, Elder Palea, told me to tell you, Dad, thank you for the
quotes you send. He said, 'Tell your Dad the Hawaiian kid says thanks
for the quotes.' I shared a couple with him and they helped him
a lot this week. Thank you for those.
What you said about ignorance is so true Dad. When there is a lack of
education, it is devastating. A lady tried to explain to me a few
weeks ago that stars are actually giant worms in space. She said she
heard it somewhere and was convinced that I had no idea what I was
talking about when I explained that stars are balls of gas and fire.
And sometimes when we teach people, we ask them if they want to
know if it's all true (leading into the explanation that they can pray
to ask God if it's true). And they tell us that they already know
it's true because we used a couple of verses from the Bible. So then
they aren't willing to keep commitments because they aren't willing to
ask the Lord for a spiritual witness to obtain a testimony. It's
frustrating. And I constantly have to think of how to make lessons
more simple to help appeal to the people we teach who haven't been
taught to think very complexly. It's tough. Sometimes I love them
for it though. Other times I get frustrated. But it makes me
thankful for my education. So thankful.
This week we had interviews with President and it was sooo good.
Hermana Maravilla (the mission mom) reviewed our planners and talked
with us indivudually. She's a really cool lady. The interview was
powerful. President asked me what my most positive attribute is. I
told him it is my desire to always improve. Then he asked my biggest
weakness. I told him patience, oftentimes with myself. He chuckled
haha. Then he told me he wants me to focus on following the spirit.
He said to study and practice it. Then he asked me what attribute I
want to work on. I told him charity because that's what I fasted for
this month. He told me to study it and practice it. He said the
study part is essential in order to understand what I ought to put
into practice. Then he said we learn through practice and that
applies to everything in the gospel as well.
At the end of the interview he congratulated me for my progress with
Spanish and then told me to tell you guys something. He said to tell
you that he is extremely grateful to have me in the mission and he is
very proud of my work. That made me feel good haha.
Haley keep going strong in everything. Seek Heavenly Father's
help in every aspect of your life and he'll help you. Be happy and
have fun!
Brock, you sound like you're doing well. Take it to em at school.
You're a stud. Thanks for making me laugh haha!
I love you guys! Have an awesome week. The Lord loves us more than
we can understand. I have a strong testimony of that. Thanks for
your love and prayers.
Oh snap! I got a letter from Elder Eckel this week! So awesome!
He's doing well. He's safe haha. Ah what a stud.
Love you!
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.