12/5/11
Hey everybody!
This week was sooooo hard! But it's okay. Just a testimony that there is opposition in all things. We're not discouraged, but things were just kinda ridiculous haha. Nobody was home. December is ridiculous in this part of the world. Everyone leaves for parties and what not. But Christmas here will be epic. The members are already inviting us to join them in their tamale feasts. And the fireworks are already pretty nuts. Last night we finished planning and we heard fireworks. So I went up to our roof and sat in the hammock to watch. It was pretty impressive. Tecun had it's Christmas parade and the mayor put on a firework show. There were a lot of fireworks I'd never seen before. Then in the finale, they launched the biggest firework I've ever seen in my life. Like they had some big ones, like the big 4th of July ones. But this one was something new. It exploded en gold and blue and lit the entire sky. The explosion echoed off of the mountains in the distance and it sounded like a roll of thunder going back and forth. Craziest thing ever. So cool haha! And it's not even Christmas yet. I might buy a new memory card for my camera just for taking videos of Christmas and New Years. I'm sure Mr. Mayor is planning something huge. Haha drugs bring lots of money to this place. People are going all out for Christmas.
Mom, it sounds like some crazy dental stuff. If you want the Guatemalan antidote for mercury poisoning, heat up the bottom of a drinking glass and cover your left ear for five minutes. Then stare at a like while you drink cold water. It works, trust me, a doctor said so. Hahahaha
Please tell Aunt Margaret that I love her and miss her so much! And Mom, enjoy your break!
Aubrey, thanks for your little note! And Brock, your email was awesome as always.
I got the Christmas box! Thank you so much! I won't open it until Christmas (I had to hide it from my comp and the zone leaders). They really would open it without my permission. Ridiculous, I know.
Dad, that was funny what you wrote about Ginger. Good to know she's still a goofball. I've grown so accustomed to gross dogs that it'll be such a cool thing to be with my wittle beagle. And I liked the what if questions. Sounds like something Elder Hock would love. I remember in the MTC he would always end the day with a deep or ridiculous question. 'If you could combine two animals into one and have it as a pet, what would you do?' That made for some good conversation haha.
Haley, I've been working on a letter for you and it's almost complete. It should be sent this week. Hang in there with everything. Nail those finals! That was a pretty hilarious story about the hamster and ferret. As far as the Christmas poem, don't make it as cruel as Mike and I made ours. It was a little too much, but so funny! Haha it could probably still be funny without the cruelty. Probably.
So best news of the week... Soccer is now banned in all the mission. I still don't really know why, but my comp always tells people it's the gringos' fault. Haha ohhhh.
But on the bright side, I won a game of 21 today. We played basketball in the Malacatan chapel (it's huge), and I actually played well!
We work out in a gym at 6 every morning and this week I repped 175 on the bench press. Watch out Jason Bourne.
On a spiritual note, I loved the First Presidency Christmas devotional. I'm very excited to see more of the video the church released! That was so cool. The wise men were depicted so well! I loved that! But why wasn't the angel smiling or something when he appeared to the shephards? That was a little interesting. But I loved it, so cool!
I've been studying the Atonement and recently started reading about the birth of the Savior and it's been very special to contemplate the infinite love God has for us. I marvel at it.
I was reading Jesus the Christ about the witnesses of the Christ child. The angels appeared to the humble shephards and they went to testify to the people about what they had seen and heard. But with the simple testimony of humble shephards wasn't much to a bunch of prideful Pharisees and politicians who just pushed the shephards aside, assuming they were falling to the foolish imaginations and aspirations of joy amid their poverty. But later came the wise men, perhaps wealthier than the Jewish rulers, who came humbly seeking the Christ. This must have been a real blow to the pride of men like Herod. The Father called upon both the rich and the poor to bear testimony of His Only Begotten, leaving no excuse to the prideful unbelievers.
It's so interesting to me to see the pride and priestcrafts of the churches here in Guatemala. It's sad. People are so misled. And they are stuck in traditions that have no biblical foundation, simply based on what a pastor teaches. The pastor can say whatever he wants and people follow him. We've asked people, 'Sister, if Christ himself were to come down and tell you that what we have taught you is true, would you be willing to apply these teachings in your life?' We get responses like this all the time: 'Well I already have a pastor that tells me what is true and what I should do. So no.' Ah so frustrating.
But as I fight for the truth and strive to help people receive the blessings of the Restored Gospel, I get a glimpse of the love that God has for these people. They are so special and there is so much potential here.
My times up, but thank you for everything. Have an awesome week. I love you all so much!
Tell everyone I say hi!
Love,
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.