Guatemala Retahuleu Mission

Wednesday, February 10, 2010







New Mission in Guatemala



Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.








Monday, January 30, 2012

Now, the coolest thing... Yesterday President Uchtdorf dedicated the Quetzaltenango temple

12/12/11

Hey everyone!
Since we can no longer play soccer, we've resorted to things like board games on Pday. I just swept an epic game of RISK (Halo version). Pretty fun haha.
It's been a pretty crazy week, sounds like a lot i going on over there too. My phone number is xxxxxxx, I don't remember what the country code is, but I'm sure youll be able to find that online. I dont know what time will be best, but certainly in the afternoon.
Mom, we don't have any investigators that are really progressing. If you could pray for Edgar and Sandra, they're a family we found that has a lot of potential. Aside from that we're struggling to find people right now. It's been a struggle lately keeping ourselves motivated. And yes, the Christmas box is still safe and sound. Speaking of which, these will likely be my last few weeks in Tecun and it's one of the best places to buy cool things. I want to buy some cool stuff (personal things and also for the family), so if you guys want I can buy some stuff and hang on to it till the end of the mission. I would wait till the end, but there are some good quality items around here. I bought Haley something today ;).
Brock, great to hear that you're doing well! Kinda crazy you bought an Xbox, but sweet! Haha sounds like a sweet deal. And good to hear you got my letter. I'm stoked to talk to you.
Dad, you're going to Panama! That should be cool, I've always wondered what that place is like. Supposedly they don't consider themselves part of Central America. I'm curious as to whether they are more developed or what the deal is there. We will be doing a mission conference for Christmas, but we have no idea when haha. World news is interesting, politics sound ridiculous. And thank you for the ideas to find. We have a big activity on Friday, a choir i coming in town from another stake and it usually pulls in about 200 people. We're planning how to take advantage of that. I like the caroling idea.
So we've had a lot of challenges lately, but I'm learning from them. Our district currently has nothing positive happening. Neither does the other district in the Tecun Uman zone. I gave a pretty harsh message in our last district meeting, and it helped for a couple days, but we're back to where we were. I'm trying to apply the pattern of leadership from Doctrine and Covenants 121. I'm focusing on the things I can control, and applying that. The rest, that which I cannot control, is not up to me. But I will continue to strive to show love as I exhort and teach. The thing is I have a lot to change and improve in my individual methods and habits. But I'm hopeful for this week.
Now, the coolest thing... Yesterday President Uchtdorf dedicated the Quetzaltenango temple. On Saturday night all the young people performed in a cultural celebration. We got to watch it in the chapel on a tv. We were all hot and sticky while everyone in Quetzaltenango was freezing. Haha kind of weird considering how close it is. Most of the performers have never had an opportunity to perform and it was funny to see them having fun with it. A lot of people didn't seem to have a clue what was going on, but it all turned out really well. We saw all the young men and women from my ward (Ayutla) and they did great! They were all smiles and danced really well. Jose's kids were on there on international TV! That was cool. One of them is named BenHur haha! Stud. President Uchtdorf loved the event.
The dedication was so wonderful. It's fun to see general authorities in uncomfortable situations without a script. During the cornerstone ceremony outside the temple President Uchtdorf was cracking joke and having fun with it. At one point I think he forgot that there was a translator, he just kept talking in English. Everyone was a little confused. He started laughing.
The new temple presidency spoke. We watched all three sessions. The temple president shared the story of his father's conversion 60 years ago when the missionaries first arrived in Guatemala. He said his father one day was reading Matthew 3 and declared, 'I am no longer going to church until I find a church that baptizes in the manner that Jesus taught!' That night he had a dream in which two foreignors approached him and presented him with a book. He woke up and felt like the dream came from God, it was so vivid. He went to work and told all his coworkers. Suddenly one the coworkers yelled, 'Look! Two foreignors!' Sure enough, outside the door were two gringos. The man called to them. They were missionarie who just recently arrived to Quetzaltenango. They taught him about the Book of Mormon and then presented him one. He asked the cost. They responded, just a covenant that you'll read it. He read it in two days and was baptized shortly after. Now, 60 years later, there are 160 members of the church who are descendants of that man, and one of them is now the temple president. So many powerful stories like that! At the end President Uchtdorf testified. 'Jesus Christ lives. I know him. He is at the head of this work.' He expressed repeatedly his love for the people and it inspired me. I feel a new sense of appreciation for this culture and this people. The prophecies and promises made to the Lamanites are being fulfilled. This is God's work!
I love you guys so much! Thank you for everything!
Talk to you soon,
Elder Austin Tyler