12/26/11
Ahhh it was sooooo good to see/talk to you guys!!! I am soooo sorry that it had to be cut short. That was heartwrenching, but considering how fast the time is going, Mother's Day is almost here already. I'll admit, I did feel very nostalgic the rest of the evening. We went to the radio and then visited a member and that all went well. Then we got back and played some Risk again haha. I lost :( But while talking I didn't get to ask you guys all I wanted to ask. So what did everyone get for Christmas?? (Aside from the snowblower) And Haley, did you get my letter yet? If not, Happy Birthday tomorrow!!
I forgot to tell you guys about our lunch yesterday. A few weeks ago Elder Moss and I planned what we would be eating Christmas Day, so we bought a lot of junk: a chocolate cake mix, Hershey's frosting, whipped cream, and ice cream. We don't have an oven, so yesterday after we got back from church we cooked the cake in a frying pan, it turned out as a chocolaty crumble thing. Then we heated up the frosting and poured it on top. Then we divided the half gallon of ice cream between the four of us and put the cake on top. I don't know how I forgot to mention that yesterday, it was so epic. We all felt horrible afterwards haha.
Oh and it was cool to see your dad, Aubrey! He looks great! Unfortunately, the connection (I believe on my end) cut out and I wasn't able to talk to him long, but tell him thank you for his help. And tell your family I say hi!
So I think today I'm going to figure out how to pack up that painting and send it with a few things. I'm going to take out some more money so I can send it. Anybody want any soccer jerseys?
Oh! Could you send me the new house address? That would be awesome. I think I'm going to send the painting to the old house?
Thank you again for the package. It was such a good feeling to have my own Christmas moment opening gifts and reading cards. Thank you for the socks, the ties, the shirt, the deoderant, the powder, the candy, and the beef jerkey! And Haley that picture you sent me is sooo cool! You're so gorgeous!
As the year comes to an end I'm starting to write down my goals for the coming year. Such goals mostly revolve around being more humble, faithful, and charitable. And yesterday was such a great experience for me to get excited about those goals. As I've mentioned before, it's been a bit of a struggle to develop charity in my companionship. I've tried to serve him and encourage him, but it's been a stubborn struggle. I didn't mention the tell the whole experience yesterday of Saturday night. As I cleaned the kitchen that night, I was in kind of a grumbly mood because of how dirty the kitchen was. I was exhausted and upset that we had cleaned the kitchen on Thursday and it was already so trashed. But as I stood there washing dishes and thinking, I don't know why, but I got happy. I got excited for Christmas. It was a very distinct and sudden feeling. I started to feel an appreciation for everything, the Gospel, my companion, the time I've had here, etc. I went to bed feeling content.
When I woke up on Sunday I just patiently waited for everyone to see the presents and clean kitchen and all. My companion saw his section on the table with the presents you sent him. He gave me a hug and said thank you. A simple thing that meant so much. Thank you guys for giving me that opportunity to brighten somebody's Christmas morning. It was a true experience of the joy that comes through service and it's one I'll remember for a long time.
This past week I also finished a project I've been working on for awhile, an essay on humility. President asked me to write 'little books' on what I study. He wants a copy of them to read at the end of my mission. Humility was an interesting topic and I learned a lot. I discovered that I have a lot of pride to get rid of. It's my hope to replace that pride with a more devoted conversion to the Lord and a more sincere desire to fulfill His will. It's hard to ask for the Lord's help, because He's so good at showing me my weaknesses. But I just need to trust Him and rely on Him to help me grow stronger.
Thank you guys again for everything. I love you all so much and so look forward to being with you at the end of this adventure. There's a lot to do in these next several months. I have a lot to learn and apply. I feel like I've been living below my privileges lately. I seek the character to be the best I can be, especially when surrounded by people who don't want me to be my best. It's a hard thing, but I want to be able to do it.
I've learned that the people I am surrounded by can have a huge influence. This applies to marriage, rooming in college, and friends and coworkers. It's so key. I look forward to being surrounded by uplifting people. I crave that right now. Talking with you guys yesterday helped me so much.
I feel so loved, thank you all for everything. I love you guys and hope you had an awesome Christmas.
Happy New Year! WOOOOO 2012!
Love always,
Elder Austin Tyler
Austin is serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Guatemala Retalhuleu Mission. His weekly emails will be posted here.
Guatemala Retahuleu Mission
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.
New Mission in Guatemala
Missionaries report that the fifth mission in Guatemala will be organized this summer from the Guatemala Quetzaltenango and Guatemala City Central Missions. The new mission will be named the Guatemala Retahuleu Mission. The decision to create a second mission in the highlands of western Guatemala was likely due to continue to expand outreach into small, Amerindian communities. Many of these communities have members, some of which meet in small branches or groups. Like the creation of Chile Concepcion South Mission in the mid-2000s, the new mission will likely be created to have mission leadership and missionaries work with areas with high inactivity. There are also several districts close to becoming stakes which the new mission may facilitate becoming stakes in the coming years.